Your therapist will discuss your concerns and identify targets to focus on during your child’s therapy. Targets may focus on developing your child’s speech sounds or understanding and/or use of language through specific targets on listening to specific speech sounds, articulating sounds, vocabulary development, sentence building, understanding of instructions. For further information about Speech, Language and Communication Needs, visit the https://www.afasic.org.uk website.
You will be given strategies or activities following each session to practise at home and your therapist may discuss sharing these targets with other professionals such as teaching staff so they can also support your child.
How long will it take?
You will be invited to 5 sessions at a clinic. Following the 5 sessions, your therapist will write a report with recommendations and will discuss sharing this report with any other professionals who may be involved in your child’s care. They will also discuss the next steps for your child’s SLT support.
It is important to attend all of the appointments offered as not attending may delay your child’s SLT support or result in discharge.
Speech and Language Therapy
- Speech and Language Therapy Communication Referral Form
- Speech and Language Therapy Dysphagia Referral Form
- Speech and Language Therapy early years questionnaire
- Speech and Language Therapy parental questionnaire
- Speech and Language Therapy referral checklist
- Speech and Language Therapy schools questionnaire